High-Frequency Word Flashcards
Learning high-frequency words "automatically" is key for a child's success in reading. These words are called high-frequency words because they are the words most often seen in reading. In class, we often call them "rule breakers" because the words often break phonetic rules and need to be learned to sight. Below are some ideas for you to help your child learn the high-frequency words. There are also links that will bring you to flashcards for our reading units.
- Play concentration or memory.
- Play "Go Fish."
- Write the words in shaving cream, pudding, or uncooked rice.
- Play "Word Hunt" - have your child find the words in a magazine or newspaper.
- Become an author or illustrator! Use the words to write books.
- Hang the words around your house so that your child sees them all the time - on the refrigerator, on the bathroom mirror, etc.
Kindergarten High-Frequency Words
Unit 1 High-Frequency Words
Unit 2 High-Frequency Words
Unit 3 High-Frequency Words
Unit 4 High-Frequency Words
Unit 5 High-Frequency Words